Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Doctor appointment

With getting back on track with my health and weight, I went to the doctor for a physical.  I didn't really want to go, but I need to be sure I am doing the right things for my bloods sugar and be sure that is the only thing going on that I "can't see".  Other than my OB, I havent seen a doctor in several years, so I made the appointment.

The office is close and quite nice.  The Dr. took a lot of time to talk to me about everything and answer all of my questions.  We talked a lot about the diabetes and my recent rapid weight gain.  She did agree with me that the zoloft probably played a huge role in the weight gain and that for some people it is near impossible to get the pounds off while you are taking it.  She ordered lots of blood tests including a thyroid panel, CBC, hemoglobin A1C, and a few others that I can't remember.  I was pretty sure the thyroid test would come back normal, but she said she wanted to check it all.  I figure if you're taking my blood, do as many tests as you want on it because I'd rather just get stuck once.  I don't like needles.
The tests results were in yesterday.  I AM a type 2 diabetic.  Big surprise there (can you feel my sarcasim?) so she started me on Metformin.  The throid did come back normal.  What surprised me a bit was my cholesterol and triglycerides are on the low end of being high and she prescribed medication. That actually scares me as much as the diabetes.  33 year olds aren't suppose to have high cholesterol.

I have to make changes, more than I thought when it was just the blood sugar issues, but it's OK.  I am not real happy about having to take medication, partly because I am just so bad about taking it (I forget a lot).  BUT, if i need to take it for a little while until I can get some of this weight off then OK.  I know that I don't have to take it for the rest of my life.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  It just happens to be a very long, up hill tunnel.  With that being said, I better get my 20 minutes of morning exercise in now that Bean is down for a nap. Good thing this glider is very quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment