Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Avocado

I got a little hungry and started thinking of what I could eat.  Being a somewhat "new" diabetic I still have to really think about what I am going to eat.  I looked in the pantry and the fridge and nothing seemed to appealing.  I then saw the avocado on the counter.  I bought 2 the other day when I made tacos for dinner.  It was just right.  While I was eating it I got to thinking how avocados are really good for you and even though they are very high in fat, they're low in saturated fat and and contain monounstaurated fat which can help lower cholesterol. They are rich in like 20 some essential nutrients and minerals which make them a complete food.  I have been giving Elijah some puree'd avocado since he was 6 months and eating "solid" food.  I make sure he gets a little at least 3 times a week.  It's such a good first baby food that I don't know why the baby food companies aren't putting it in their little jars are charging for it.  I mean that really doesn't matter to me personally since I make most of his food anyway.  Abigail loves it just cut up into little chunks.  Alex and Bella aren't real fond of it, but they will eat it. Since Avocados are considered a complete food you could actually live off of them.  I am not sure I would want to do that, but I am certainly going to certainly be adding them more to our diet, not just Elijah's :-)


Who know this little, kind-of-ugly fruit could be so wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment